Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The medium is the message

The new computer arrived this morning.
I was so excited about it, that it caused me to be 2 hours late for work. Way to go technology. I was under the impression you were supposed to make things run smoother, more efficiently, in turn making me on time.
I am currently organizing my pictures and movie files, music is already done, for now. I have to redo quite a lot of the things I thought were finished for the video project I have been working on and off and on again for the past 5 years. It's partly why I bought this thing. Good memories in the videos and photos. I found a few gems that I had long forgotten about (multiple years forgotten).

I can't help but think of the few Marx essays I've read in connection with the collapse of many economic systems around the world. I only hope for accountability for accountants, CEOs, etc, essentially. Whatever, I'm keeping the system afloat, with all these new technological purchases, yet I actually want to see it fail.

I've been doing research for an essay on love. Recently, I have found some interesting things connecting depression, OCD, and addiction, to love. Which makes absolutely perfect sense to me. Anyone who knows anything about me knows I fall in love fairly easily - though it's been a while, well just a little more than a year and a half, that's not so long, and almosts never count, and neither do objects, nor do previous positions held. Anyway, point being, it's interesting to say the least, but not something that one doesn't inherently know or understand.

Speaking of critical analysis, I also want to work on this long standing thesis I've had on the failings of punk rock. I was listening to some older stuff, a band called Life's Blood (pre-Born Against), in particular, and just was really turned off by the production first and foremost (could you imagine if Minor Threat had such shitty production, no one would have become straight edge). The message I think they were going for lead me to be reminded of other bands from that era, and their talk of revolution, etc. Revolution my ass. The message is the medium, the medium is the message. How something as intense, interesting, intelligent, and critical of a message punk has as a whole, gets construed for laziness and drunkenness, is beyond me. Right, you sure are showing the man, you showed 'em real good. By no means am I not saying have fun, etc. but these things don't equate.

Another scholarship was sent to me today. It's kinda amazing.

Longing for returns.

No comments: