Monday, September 15, 2008

Red HeroiNe

red heroine first show
I don't remember much at this point.
well that's not true (I just don't know how much you don't care to know).
it was summer 2000.
Jeremy, Eddie and I had a band called xcongressofthecrowx. (congress of the crow is a sexual position, I'm sure I tried to teach it to you at some point). we were a straightedge band. The three of us were supposed to share vocal duties, but it really came down to me doing it. I wasn't that into it, I mean it was fun, but I wanted to play and not have to worry about yelling and such, considering I decided I didn't want to scream in bands anymore, and I had Dead Letter Auction (well actually at that point I think we were on a break). We recorded and released an eight song demo limited to 20. Well Jeremy did all of this. I actually didn't want it released. But anyway.
So, with fall approaching, John Cheesebrew was added to the fold. John has never been straight edge. So we changed the name to red heroine.
we adopted a few xcongressofthecrowx songs and built on the sound. oddly enough we fit in perfectly with the other bands that were coming out of Indiana at the time (and in many cases are far superior and hold up way better than they do), though we had nothing to do with them, and didn't even really like them as people or even musically. we really did call our music "aftermath rock" (a play on the "mathrock" label (attributed to weird time signatures), as well as an homage to dr dre, as well as aftermath being chaos, etc) and "eddiemetal" (a play on heavy metal as well as an homage to Iron Maiden, as well as our band member). I was doing a noise project at the time called, The Rebellion's New Idol (I'm not going to explain this one, but in part, there's a bit part homage to Star Wars (before it started sucking)), and we really wanted to add elements of that (hence the end of the last track of the Mangus Meets His End cd - the noise throughout the cd was intentionally added by mike dixon - though I do believe he edited parts from our noise movement). I think if we had continued we would have added even more of that aspect. (in fact I have some tapes of me and Eddie making noise pieces) (I really need to get a 4 track to edit/digitize some of these things).

at some point, John McCormick joined the band on 2nd guitar (unfortunately, you can barely hear him on the live track).

honestly we were a really dysfunctional band. we didn't really get along with each other. there were major 2 way cliques amongst us. Some people would say Jeremy was the worst drummer they had ever seen (I tried really hard to shelter him from these comments, and they obviously never saw skullyard (of which, I was the drummer)). we would fight each other on and off stage and all that. totally ridiculous. on the tour, John (mccormick) and I took our own van to avoid the other boys as much as possible. this ensued in insane highway hijinks that make Quentin Tarantino look like an amateur.

but whatever, we had a lot of fun, we played a few shows (you can follow the following link to see them - list of shows). recorded twice with Mike Dixon, once in Bloomington (mangus meets his end). Once in the Psi Ote Barn in Northside park (the 2 unreleased songs). and we had one song we didn't record (but a live version is included in the download, it's from our second to last show, at the YWCA before Kim opened and closed her record shop, Convolution Records).

so here's all 10 songs:
red heroine discography
and here are some photos

yes this post is full of jackassery and it is dedicated to Craig (he was in a band called Mortadusk that ruled Fort Wayne more than any other band EVER [and someone really should do it to him already]), he requested the red heroine stuff today via a facebook message, and I've been meaning to do this for Jeremy for about 3.5 years.

1 comment:

stormgren said...

consider myself done, blood.