Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A gust

I've fallen a bit behind on things, considering, I'm sure you'll forgive me.
With the passing of whatever holiday that just did so, I declare that Summer is officially over. And what a way to end it!

It's hard to express just how much the last week of August meant to me. (the entire month actually - starting off in San Francisco visiting friends AND seeing Portraits of Past, then Liann and Sara being here, then the boys arriving - though I could have done without the news from home).

I finished another class with a B. I guess that's fine because I missed so many classes I should have failed, but I'm me. I hated the class and thought it was a huge waste of time, I felt that way about 2/3 of my summer classes; I took Health, Speech, and the Frankfurt School. Guess which one I adored?

I guess I should start with the fact that I love the members of Dead Letter Auction with all of my heart and soul. They are my best friends and I can say without hesitation that I love them unconditionally and would do whatever I could for them. So to get to play a few shows with them again was amazing, and even very much needed. I'm a little bummed John Cheesebrew couldn't make it, it would have been awesome to be able to play with both drummers at the same time; I always wanted that to happen.

Portraits of Past were a band that meant a lot to me. I listened to this record at least once a day for at least five years straight, and still revisit it quite regularly. It captures so much of how I felt musically, atmospherically, and especially lyrically. If I were younger I probably would quote certain passages here, but being older I realize one that's silly, two I don't think I can limit myself to a passage, and three I like lists. So for them to reunite, was kind of amazing. I am quite positive that I am the only person that caught all 5 reunion shows. I sat on stage for all five, like a dork, not out of entitlement, or selfishness, but out of a sense of needing to. A lot of people asked if Jonah and I are brothers, his actual brother looks nothing like him.

In the few days leading up to the shows, a local New Yorker posted a picture of a roommate of xxxx. Weird to say the least. He and I had a few messages back and forth, but left it at, I am not interested in hearing about her this way, or in this light. I like my memories of us, and I'm going to keep them. nine months ago, nine months prior to that and I never even knew of such things. A shadow of a former self.

Jarod and John arrived much earlier than Chris. We hung out, went to some parties, caused some trouble. I touched Nora Jones' hand and arm. The boys and I told stories, laughed, and I nearly cried almost every night (it's me, of course this happened).
When Chris arrived we went straight to practice, it was awkward for some reason, not because of Chris, but because it was so late and we were all somewhat exhausted already.

The shows themselves were a lot of fun. I am convinced that every other show we ever played was good, then bad, then awesome. ie we played Wednesday it was good. Thursday was awful, Friday was awesome - I couldn't have asked for a better show, aside from some friends and other certain people being there. You know who you are. I do. There were a few "indie rock celebrities" at our shows, but they didn't do anything for me. they don't move me like you do. After the show on Friday, a younger man approached me and said "I've been waiting years to see you guys play, thank you so much" I didn't know what to say, a part of me thought maybe he thought I was Jonah, but knew that wasn't true as they hadn't played yet, and we don't really look that much alike, I just don't always believe these things (but we all know how I hold on to them) "Man, you totally just blew my mind, THANK YOU." It was already all worth it on so many levels, but this is awesome.
It was well documented in pictures, however video was only taken at the first show; with 2 cameras. I lost my voice the first night. so the second two shows were interesting, so maybe it's good that they were not filmed.
I dunno, it made me miss being in a band, and I guess I'm going to try harder to get one going again. Then again, when you've had what you wanted, why go chasing for something else? I have plans, but I need to realize life is short and I can't possibly accomplish all of these things.

I crashed hard after everyone left. All of a sudden, I wake up and there's no one to cook for, no one to entertain, no one to distract me. I've been off medication for about 2 months now. These first few days have been hard at moments, but I think I'm in a much better place. Sure I still have OCD tendencies that focus on aspects that I don't understand. I wish I was the type that was more concerned with being more organized, because my apartment and room are a mess from being awesome, but no, I'm cursed with obsessing over memories etc. Someday I'll admit to these things thoroughly, 'til then we're both left with just a thought.

and back to school.
after German class I went back to work. Lou Reed, John Zorn, and Mike Patton played a show. weird. Mike is a friend of friends, but I didn't want to be bothered with him. both Macaulay and Kieran Culkin were drinking in the office with me and other coworkers, I think my mom would be impressed.

I'm skipping class to write this, one because I don't know where today's class meets, two I had to do laundry, three I need some time off to process everything, four yes that is what this is. five, I still like lists. I imagine I will revisit this and edit it. speaking of I have to add some shows to the list of shows I have played.

No comments: