Monday, January 21, 2008

Reflections on A-1 Records in Anderson, IN

This first appeared in Issue #1 - July 1998

11.20.97 8:01p - Reflections on A-1 Records in Anderson, IN
Earlier today Chris and I went down to Anderson to pay Nick at A-1 a visit. Upon our arrival, I noticed that windows had been covered up with newspapers.
????, I thought. I pulled the door and sure enough, it was locked. We walked around looking for any clues, trying to peak through the newspaper covered windows. Hoping to find light, movement, any sign of life. We couldn't find anything so we walked across the street to the coffee shop where Chris has also played. The manager of the shop told us that A-1 had closed down and Nick is looking for a new storefront.
It's heartbreaking that anyone can put so much passion and energy into anything and have it be taken away from them. A-1 was such an amazing place. I am fortunate to have played there three times, and some of those have been the most meaningful moments for Cataract Falls. Nick was so awesome. Anyone who has been there knows what I mean. The place was magical. He supported kids, gave them a place to hang out, play music, show art work, and see shows. He did it for them to have something to do; he wanted them to be "hooked on records rather than drugs."
I just wanted to say thanks Nick, for all you've done.

No comments: