Thursday, February 14, 2008

a tale of a fourth grade dinner party.

I have been sending around emails with a few personal updates and some of my friends write back some of the sweetest, most meaningful, and endearing replies I could ever hope for. Some write back with the funniest things I have ever read. Both of these things are equally appreciated, important, and even needed. Some are not responding and even one of is forwarding the emails around to people that are not involved or have the slightest of clues to where I've been and what I have overcome.
I have made reference to the importance of friendships since I have been publishing my writing, for just over 10 years. A lot of people like to put so much emphasis on family (family first!), but sometimes our paths are truly that of which we have to walk away from those that were mere vague figures of what the idea of family is, or should be. My friends have always been my first family.
It's always really exciting coming across long lost friends, and more so upon realizing you went along the same paths. Last year, I reconnected with my best friend from elementary school, whom, I haven't spoken to since then, and we realized we both were in bands involved in the same distant sense of community. This shows me that people that come in our lives are meant to. He was a truly great friend. In fourth grade I was allowed to have him over for dinner, I think the only time that ever happened. He exclaimed proudly, "Look at him, he's like the godfather!" Because my step-mom said something negative towards me. He was talking about me, with clear reference to this is going to be a great man, support him and you will watch him grow, cross him, and you will be sorry, stifle him and it will be one of the greatest crimes ever committed.

No comments: